Write a new entry for the Guestbook

Fields marked with * are required.
Your E-mail address won't be published.
For security reasons we save the IP address
It's possible that your entry will only be visible in the guestbook after we reviewed it.
We reserve the right to edit, delete, or not publish entries.
130 entries.
Megan Bacigalupo from Minneapolis wrote on August 9, 2018 at 9:32 am:
Please feel free to share my story on your blog or wherever Thanks Megan Survivor of a subarachnoid hemorrhage and stoke
Lauren Daly from Liverpool wrote on July 24, 2018 at 10:50 am:
I am writing this entry on behalf of my mum, Carol Ann Daly. My mum died on the 3rd of July 2018 after suffering a sub-arachnal brain hemmorraghe that was caused by a brain aneurysm at the age of 52. It was an ordinary day and we had some friends staying with us from Australia and after we had got ready we where about to leave the house to go out for a nice meal together. As we where about to leave my mum went upstairs to get her jacket and she began to complain to my dad of an almost unbearable pain in the centre of her head. My mum had been suffering with minor headaches for a while so my dad didn’t think much of it so he just came to stairs to fetch her some pain-killers. He gave me the tablets to take upstairs to my mum but as I looked around, she wasn’t there, so I came back downstairs to tell my dad. At this point everyone was gathering round the door ready to leave so we all started looking and shouting for her, my dad then glanced into the front room and saw her slumped, sitting on the couch. My dad got to her straight away and realised she wasn’t breathing and was unresponsive so I called an ambulance. On the phone they gave us instructions on how to try and get her breathing again. After about 90 seconds we had layer her onto the floor and managed to open her airway so but her breaths where very delayed. The paramedics then arrived and she began to mumbling some words but they where not very clear and she was suffering with double vision. When she was transported to the ambulance we where first took to our local hospital where they done a scan to try and find out what the problem was and when we got the results that it was a sub-arachnal brain hemmorraghe caused by an aneurysm we where very shocked. The hospital then made the call to transfer my mum to a specialist hospital for neuroscience called the Walton Centre. On arrival to this hospital my mum had a second bleed on the brain alongside in-noticed aspiration of vomit into the lungs which meant she was struggling to breathe so the doctors put her into a medically induced coma. Whilst under the sedation the doctors where allowed to keep my mum stable and keep a close eye on her brain activity. After two days of allowing the brain to rest the doctors decided to take my mum into theatre for an operation called coiling and explained that this procedure would prevent my mum from having any more bleeds in her recovery and moving on into the future, although they also had to warn us that doing this operation could leave the risk of a further stroke happening in the next 14 to 21 days, but the benefits of doing this procedure far out-weighed the risks.So they went ahead with the operation but unfortunately, in the middle of the procedure my mum sufferd a third bleed but because they could see it on screen they could deal with it very quickly. They kept my mum on full sedation after her operation for two days, this was to give her brain time to rest. After that they then began to lower her levels of sedation and she slowly began to become more responsive as time went on, she would be moving her head side to side and opening her eyes fully alongside squeezing my hands and wiggling her feet and toes. As they carried on to lower her sedation she got down to only 25% overnight but after speaking to the doctors they explained to us that she did not react very well to such low levels of sedation as she was vomiting and was very agitated, they said that this was quite common in some patients and may just be because they are not ready yet. In the early hours of the next day the doctors told us that her temperature had been very high and that at some points it was reaching up to 43 degrees and told us that this could be because the thermo-regulation in her brain may not be working due to the blood load in her head. So they had to bring her temperature down for her by using cooling pads all over her body and put her sedation back up quite high to keep her calm and comfertable as they didn’t want her to feel to cold and start shivering. She was kept like this for a day then the early hours of the next day me and my dad got called in at 3am and was told that my mum had suffer another stroke called infraction that was causing major swelling in one side of the brain they realised this when one of my mums pupils became unreactive. So they took her down for a scan a we where told the results by the time we arrived there. They showed that the infraction took place under the aneurysm and the swelling was spreading around the brain. A few minutes later her second pupil became unreactive, proving that the whole brain was now swollen and in a crushing state due to the pressure it was holding against the skull. The consultants the game to us and explained how there is no medical cure or solution in this situation and that my mum would not be waking up. They then went on to say that when death is suspected they are legally required to complete a brain stem test to lawfully confirm death. This test confirmed my mother’s death and she was pronounced dead on the 3rd of July 2018. In the passing days after this my dad told me that he was seeing some memory alterations and forgetfulness in my mums day to day routine, the doctors told us even little things like this can be discrete symptoms. Maybe if my family was more educated on the causes and symptoms of this, things may have been different but in my mums memory I would like to share our story and try my best to help prevent anything like this to happening to anybody else. I love you mum, you will be forever missed.
Nicole from Indianapolis wrote on July 8, 2018 at 12:32 am:
On June 25, 2017 I experienced the "worst headache of my life" It was accompanied by blurry vision, but the excruciating pain and blurry vision passed in about 30 seconds. I did have a lingering headache, but nothing extraordinary so I didn't think much of it. A couple days passed and I still had the headache and it seemed to be getting worse. The doctor said my neck and back were out of place and sent me to a chiropractor. On July 4, 2017 I was in the bathtub, soaking, trying desperately to get some relief from the headache. I went to get out of the tub and couldn't. Fortunately I had my phone and was able to call my family for help. It was immediately apparent to them that I had had a stroke and they called 911. At the hospital it was discovered that I had apparently suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm 10 days prior and the bleeding and pressure in my brain then led to a stroke. Long story short I was in the neuro ICU until the end of September. I have very little memory of the time. They did not believe I would survive and that if I did I would not be functional. I was told by one neurologist that he had a booklet in his hand with 30 pages stating why I should not be alive. Well, not only did I survive, shocking everyone-I did so with no visible disability. I returned to work as a nurse at the end of September. I am very thankful, but in some ways the no visible disability is a curse. I get tired easier. Initially with the stroke, I lost all use of my left side. I regained the use of it before leaving the hospital, but if I am tired or stressed, my left hand will feel numb, or I might trip. Functioning normally takes about every bit of energy I have, something my loved ones don't understand-because I appear perfectly normal. I struggle with loud noise or crowds, I'm not sure why but they overwhelm me. I assume a side effect of the brain injury. I now tell everyone that I can that aneurysms are hereditary. I did not know that, even being a nurse. My father died of a ruptured aneurysm 5 years ago. Had I known that, perhaps I wouldn't have suffered the stroke, because it likely would have been discovered before the bleeding went on for 10 days. Education is crucial. I was one of the lucky ones, but still struggle daily and know that my life will never be what it once was.
Megan Bacigalupo from Minneapolis wrote on June 23, 2018 at 10:12 am:
Last September I survived a subarachnoid ruptured brain aneurysm a hemorrhage and stroke!! This is my story
Emily & Ryan Rauch from El Gastor, Spain wrote on June 4, 2018 at 12:54 pm:
We are an American family living in a tiny village in the mountains of Andalucia, Spain. Three months ago, we invited our kids' friends over for a sleepover party at our house. One of the little girls, Luena, 11 years old, woke up after midnight complaining of a bad headache. My husband and I went in to check on her, and she had collapsed. Moments later she began vomiting, and I realized that she had lost consciousness. We didn't realize it at the time it was happening, but we were the first responders to a child who had just suffered a catastrophic sub-arachnid hemmoraghic aneurism. She was hospitalized and in a coma in Malaga for eight days before she died, surrounded by her family. Aside from this tiny defect in her brain, Luena was absolutely a vision of health, and her parents made the decision to donate her organs to other suffering children all over Spain. Her heart went to a little boy in Barcelona who would have died within 24 hours were it not for Luena's donation. Together with her family, we started The Luena Foundation, to carry on her legacy of helping children everywhere who are in great need. While her family and her pueblo continue to feel the loss of our little friend, Luena, we are comforted by the fact that she will lives on through the good works of her foundation.
Melissa from Woodstock,Ga wrote on May 29, 2018 at 10:17 pm:
I just lost my beautiful momma just 9 days ago. May 20, 2018 I am still I shock and disbelief but would love to be part of spreading awareness. She did not exhibit any symptoms except when it was too late. She was only 63 and I miss her horribly.
Rose from Decatur, IL wrote on May 21, 2018 at 6:57 pm:
I just recently found out that I have a brain aneurysm. My sister died of one in 2002, but my doctor here never suggested that I be scanned for one! I changed doctors and that was the first thing she asked: "Have you been scanned for a brain aneurysm?" When I told her I had not, she set it up and within 4 hours after my scan she was on the phone with me advising me that I did have a brain aneurysm! I have had 2 brain scans here in Decatur, IL and a brain angiogram at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis, MO. The results showed that if they were to operate, there were not be a good outcome at this time. So we are just "waiting and watching." My restrictions: get my blood pressure and diabetes under control and NO STRESS! Yeah, right!!!! I am scheduled for a stroke risk evaluation next month and Holter monitoring. I am to return to Barnes Hospital for more scanning in January of 2019 I have faith in God and know that He is my healer. I have given the situation to is out of my hands!
Saundra Sanchez from Lubbock wrote on May 7, 2018 at 11:17 pm:
My dad died of a brain aneurysm 21 years ago. He was 49 years old. It's sad to say that I have outlived my father. I also have an uncle who had a brain aneurysm but it was caught early and he survived. They were brothers. My dad got up to go to work one morning and he never even made it into the shower. He passed out on the bathroom floor and was found two hours later.
Debra Crocker from Sikeston wrote on March 20, 2018 at 10:44 pm:
My father died at age 54 and my sister died at age 63 from aneurysms. Another sister was scanned and had 2 aneurysms getting ready to burst. She had surgery & had a tough time. She has memory loss and some other challenges. I am definitely interested in research and education.
edgar dean blair from blavkfoot wrote on March 19, 2018 at 2:21 pm:
let me tell you about my experience; i was having extreme dizzy spells several weeks before my major one my doctor did not know what was causing it kept thinking my ears were plugged up with too much earwax so started to treat that not telling me my blood pressure was getting to high which now new doctor says was probably caused my stroke. i have no memory of it at all wife says i complained of terrible headache and i could not stop from throwing up. spent 4 weeks in hospital and another 3 weeks in a nursing home no memory of my time in the hospital and bits and pieces in nursing home
Kelsee Hoy from Staunton wrote on March 4, 2018 at 11:38 am:
It was a scary encounter to see my mom like this, one morning my mom had screamed for me to go into the room, so I rushed it, she was in so much pain, it was hard, she was shaking, throwing up, saying her head was hurting so much, so I told her I was calling 911 she looked at me shaking, and said “I think I’m having an aneurysm.” In that moment I knew it was something serious, she kept saying she was going to pass out, I told her no mom stay with me til the paramedics get here. The paramedics finally arrived and rushed her to AMC, she doesn’t really remember much, but said they were going to do CT scans, and that morning we knew her brain had blood on it, there was nothing AMC could do so they sent her to one of the best hospitals UVA, that evening UVA said she had a hole in a 9MM aneurysm. They drilled a hole to relieve pressure from her brain. Three weeks was a tough fight for her, through having pneumonia, a collapsed lung, and this aneurysm we didn’t think she would make it. Then something amazing happened, she was waking up, and she was responding fenominal to every single thing they asked her! They said her aneurysm was in the biggest artery in her brain, and that many people don’t make it or that they have a major disability, the only thing she lost was a little bit of memory. I’m so grateful god is so good!
Beverly from West Babylon wrote on February 28, 2018 at 11:52 am:
My name is Beverly and at my brain aneurysm support group at Good Samaritan we were given some papers on Lisa😞and her husband Todd who is fighting for all of us who have brain aneurysms I have one that was worked on by doc Bekelis and his team at Good Samaritan I have a coil and a stent and I’m a survivor thank god I also have another one that we will keep an eye I’m grateful and blessed to still be here 😊 im looking forward to meeting u next month Todd at our support group please keep up the good work I think that brain aneurysms and there survivors have truly gone unnoticed I never realized till I have become one myself see u soon enjoy life always 😊
Andrea from Morgantown wrote on January 8, 2018 at 4:39 pm:
When I was 13 years old I had a brain aneurysm. I stayed in a hospital for 2 1/2 weeks without the drs knowing what it was. Finally one night I had a bad round of seizures & one of the nurses told my parents to get me somewhere else cause something was seriously wrong. I was sent to Kosair Children Hospital in Louisville. They saw it was an aneurysm on other hospital xrays. By then i was so dehydrated they had to wait another 2 weeks before they could even operate. Finally they operated & fixed it. I recovered with no brain damage or side effects. I am now 38 years old.
Lori Balzer from Bismarck, ND wrote on December 10, 2017 at 10:23 pm:
On October 17, 2017 my Mom Judie Keller age 73 was getting into her car to go to a doctor appointment. I found her in the drivers seat of her car, trying to buckle her seatbelt. She looked confused, I asked her what was wrong. She only could look at me, she was unable to speak, but could follow my direction. I thought she was having a stroke. She had a history of high blood pressure and always had what she called sinus headaches. I called 911 she was transported to our local hospital and was taken by the stroke team to CT. There they discovered a large cerebral aneurism that had ruptured, she also had brain shifting. At this point she was no longer responding to us. They could not do anything locally so we airlifted her to a larger hospital in Minneapolis, MN. They were unable to do anything for her as the anurism was very large and there was extensive bleeding. My mom passed away on October 18, 2017. Not sure if my brother and I should be check for an anurism or not? Should our kids be checked?
Dewana Davis from LOUISVILLE wrote on December 5, 2017 at 9:54 am:
Hi my name is Dewana Davis ,I was diagnosed with a brain Aneurysm in 2015,that's when I was having stroke like systemsome along with my high blood pressure.I went into the emergency room with high blood pressure complications and the doctor ordered an MRI of my brain and that's how the Aneurysm was detect.I'm still living to tell my story bye the Grace of God but if I never had the brain MRI I wouldn't have know .Is there anyway that I can try to petition for there to be a law for a mandatory brain scan year just like breast cancer and then maybe we will cut down on losing loved ones or bringing awareness to people like me that don't know.I'm so sorry for your loss and anybody else .God bless
Deborah williams from Holtsville wrote on December 4, 2017 at 1:24 pm:
I suffered a brain anorism in September 2015 I suffered a stroke with left side paralyzed
Ellen Bailey from Allen wrote on December 3, 2017 at 6:28 pm:
Hello all. September 2, 2008 changed the lives of my husband, Chris, myself and our then 7 year old twins. Chris had the worst headache of his life that morning, went to lie down and kept telling me that "something wasn't right". Being a migraine sufferer myself, I told him to lie on some ice and take some of my imitrix if he needed. He passed out and I couldn't wake him up. I called 911, the paramedics came immediately, started talking about a "possible brain bleed" and we all went to Memorial Hermann hospital in Houston. Our children were in school that morning and had no idea what was happening. My father died of a brain aneurysm when I was 16 and all of those thoughts kept flooding back to me. The doctors said Chris had suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm and they weren't sure he was going to make it. I have a strong faith in God and prayed a lot that morning. They stabilized Chris at that hospital but couldn't perform the clipping surgery at that location and he was going to be transferred to the Memorial Hermann hospital at the downtown medical center. We had to wait over 8 hours for this as the hospitals were too crowded down there. Dr. Dong Kim (lead neurosurgeon) at Memorial Hermann performed the clipping surgery and said Chris was extremely lucky but had a lot of rehabilitation ahead of him. He went through countless rehab therapies, 2 other brain surgeries to relieve swelling/bleeding, and slow but sure regained most of his motor skills/personality. We are now in 2018, our kids are now 17, and I would say Chris is pretty much back to normal except he does have short term memory loss. It was a very long & difficult journey, but we made it and are definitely here to help other families cope with this terrible issue. Brain aneurysms are hereditary, contributors are high blood pressure, alcohol, and several other factors. Because they are on both sides of our families, the neurosurgeon told us to have the kids checked with a CT scan once a year after they turn 21. I get a yearly check myself and of course Chris does too. These CAN be prevented through screening and I highly encourage folks with any of the above mentioned contributors to do this. The mortality rate with aneurysms is high, especially a ruptured aneurysm. We feel Chris is indeed a miracle and we are always here to help anyone else in this similar situation. You can get through it with faith, love, family and lots of emotional support.
Walt from Albany Oregon wrote on December 2, 2017 at 8:29 pm:
In 2002, I was living in a home with my then out of the home Internet and Computer Technology small business partner in rural Virginia. When my partner departed for another state for a business meeting, I was left home alone for several nights. On the second morning home alone, I awoke unable to sit up in bed. I was experiencing a severe headache unlike anything else I had experienced before, not even the migraine headaches I was accustomed to. I had thankfully gone to bed with a wireless telephone and called the business partner's cellular phone to look for help. I then refused an ambulance later, with the concern regarding the extraordinary expense of ambulances. This is when the business partner called a friend of ours, whom came over and picked me up and put me in his truck. I was transported to the small local hospital. The little hospital discovered the hemorrhage and summoned a life flight helicopter, which flew me to Richmond where an angioplasty was stopped after vasospasms occurred in the brain. After this, the surgeons performed an aneurysm clipping on 4 August. I was 25 at the time. I remained in recovery and rehabilitation in the Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit until just before Halloween, released to my business partner. I have since been taken in by a good friend, spent several years homeless while awaiting the glacial pace of Social Security and have since been able to just scrape by on SSI. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease in 2012 (in fact, I typed most of this on my tablet while on dialysis). In the effort to get cleared for the transplant list, a second small cerebral aneurysm was found, coiled and embolized at the Oregon Health and Sciences University hospital in 2015. The end result of the ruptured aneurysm is that my short term memory is next to nonexistent. I also have serious balance issues with the occasional multiple hour bouts of vertigo (for which I am not permitted to operate motor vehicles). I largely use mobile devices (especially an iPad Mini) to help overcome the memory fault with a couple of useful apps and a lot of persistence in making myself use the apps.
Yvonne Heim from Lockhart wrote on December 2, 2017 at 7:47 pm:
I was married to a wonderful man who was a Army Special Forces Green Beret and served his country for 21 years before retiring. He then went to Physician Assistant School, which was a dream come true for him. In 2009 he graduated from the University of Washington and we moved to New Braunfels Texas where we finally were living out our dream life. Finally, no more deployments to dangerous places for months at a time and being apart for most of our 25 year marriage. Unfortunately, on August 12, 2015 my husband only 48 years old had a brain aneurysm while riding his motorcycle. He was such an experienced rider and was the only one in the accident. Witnesses stated he was riding normal, not speeding etc., but proceeded to get off the road where he eventually ran into a steel pole holding up a fence. It was a beautiful day and according to the state patrol, there were no skid marks, no attempt to stop and one foot to the right he would have been able to ride through the gate. Although the corner had to list the death a result of severe physical trauma, there was evidence of a brain aneurysm, which explains the lack of skid marks and no attempt to stop or lay the bike down. I can’t begin to tell you how devastating his death has been on me. The only comfort is he probably was already passed before he crashed. Today, I saw the segment on Fox News about Lisa’s foundation and wanted to share my story and learn about ways to bring awareness to this issue.
Dan Azbdell from Hot Springs wrote on December 2, 2017 at 7:31 pm:
On 10-09-16, my daughter were in Sunday school. I started getting so much pressure in my head just like a tire being over filled with air. i felt and heard a loud" POP" and then all this pressure and a whole lot of severe pain started settling in my neck. The only thing on my mind at this point was how can i get up and leave the room without anyone thinking something was wrong? I have always been a very independent and strong willed idiot who refused help when i could have used it!. I finally was able to stand and get out of the room where i went to the foyer. i saw my Daughter after a few minutes, i told her " let get home, somethings wrong". I drove 15-20 miles, past a hospital to get home. The pain was so bad I cant believe I was still conscious. I was going to take a handful of hydrocodons and crawl under the bed and wait it out. When we arrived home, I made it into the house, the phone rings, it was a friend from Sunday school class. He asked if I was ok, I said I don't think so. He was here in less than 10 minutes. by know I had trouble standing. H helped me into the car and we headed for the hospital. By the time we arrived, I couldn't move anything. The pain was so bad at this point. They did a spinal tap upon arrival and found blood. I was rushed to UAMS in Little Rock Ar. I remember talking to my daughter about what to do, I knew I was going to die at this point. The next memory was in ICU, I was in so much pain, I was begging the Lord to take me. I guess I was freaking the nurses out. I was in ICU for 16 days. It was the most miserable time in my life. I finally got to come home. So far, the issues I still have as a result is poor short term memory problems and severe confusion. I had 3 follow up appoint. with the neurosurgeons. They were approx. 45 miles from home so I drove there. The Dr. said I shouldn't be able to drive for another year if I was lucky. He kept telling me," I cant believe you are walking and talking". Why, other than my daughter am I still here.